Enhanced internal communication and collaboration
- Teleconferencing: We have offices in four cities and two states, so we would lose a lot of time and money to travel if we were to physically come together for every meeting. Each location has a conference room with two large monitors. When we need to meet with co-workers from other locations, we can teleconference on one screen and share content on the other. To accomplish this, we use media: scape, a Steelcase product, but we can also demonstrate it with popular web-based conferencing services, such as WebEx and GoToMeeting.
- Sharing content: Internally, we have monthly budget meetings at our Columbia office where we review detailed spreadsheets. It’s important for everyone in the room to be able to read the content. We chose to go with a projector and a 120” large screen that drops from the ceiling. This solution was more cost effective than an LCD monitor of comparable size. There are a lot of misconceptions about projectors being outdated equipment, so having such a large one in our office also meant we could show customer’s first-hand the clarity of the image on the screen. The projector and screen are controlled with an intuitive Crestron control system that automatically turns on the equipment when needed.
- Internal meetings: Our employees have a lot of impromptu meetings where they might need to share screens from multiple devices. We added the media:scape to our office with these types of meetings in mind. In our Customer Experience Center we utilize the customizable media:scape technology in many ways. In our conference room, media:scape is built into our conference table, in our training room we utilized a mobile media:scape unit and in our open work environment our staff can access this technology in a media:scape lounge.
- Staying on schedule: Since a lot of those meetings are impromptu, there is a challenge with scheduling the use of meeting space. To address that challenge, we installed Room Wizard, a Steelcase product, outside of each collaboration area. Room Wizard allows our employees to schedule a meeting by using the touch screen device for that space or through Microsoft Outlook calendars synced with the Room Wizard technology. The device glows green when a space is available or red when in use.
- Private space: In addition to the need for enhanced collaboration tools, our employees also have the need for private meeting space. The new V.I.A conference space provides an alternative meeting space to the traditional conference room. The soft seating lounge and stand-or- sit options allows our employees and customers to experience a more collaborative and relaxed meeting space. The V.I.A wall systems fully support the latest technology by seamlessly integrating Crestron room controls and a 4K digital touch panel for presentations. AirMedia allows for a wireless connection. The true acoustic privacy created by the V.I.A system makes these spaces the ideal locations for focused, productive work in a private setting.
Enhanced external communication
The installation of a video wall made of high resolution LCD display tiles, allows us to communicate with guests and employees as soon as they walk in our door. We paired this display with a Creston control pad so we could change the message and content on the fly.
We might use it to display information about a new product or to welcome a group who's coming to use our Customer Experience Center. This display has almost limitless capabilities in terms of what types of content you're showing, and how often it changes. Having this dynamic display in our office helps demonstrate how we can help our customers utilize the latest technology to enhance their external communication.
Supporting an open office
The technologies we used in McWaters help support our open office environment, but the trade-off with an open office is the noise. In order to help our team focus and reduce noise pollution, we installed QT Pro as a sound masking solution. This speaker system is spread throughout the office and functions on zones. When a zone is turned on, it creates white noise, a sound similar to an air vent. That noise helps muffle conversations and mask other sounds.
Take our virtual tour
See Our Technology in Action
Come see the impressive range of technology solutions at our McWaters location in Columbia.